Strategies for Students on how to succeed and learn effectively
1. Always attend classes with an open mind.
2. Know and understand the value of the course to your personal, academic and career goals.
3. Define your destination. Identify what you want and need to learn.
4. Think about what you already know about the subject.
What do you already know that will help you in this study?
What are your prejudices?
5. What resources are available to you, and what is your timeline?
6. Gather information. Keep an open mind so as not to close your options and for chance opportunities
7. Ask questions. What are the prejudices of the authors of the information?
8. Organize what you have collected into patterns to understand it. Look for connections. How do things you learned from this course could apply to other areas of your life?
9. Ask questions (again!)
10.Think in terms of making your learning an adventure in exploration!
11.Think in terms of how you would demonstrate your learning for your topic.
a. List, label, identify: Demonstrate your knowledge.
b. Define, explain, summarize in your own words: Comprehend.
c. Solve, apply to a new situation: Make use or apply what you learned.
d. Compare and contrast, differentiate between items: Analyze.
e. Create, combine, invent: Synthesize.
f. Assess, recommend, value: Evaluate and explain why.
Adapted from Joe Landberger’s “Study Guides and Strategies” Visit: http://www.studygs.net/crtthk.htm